Pages

domingo, 27 de novembro de 2011

Now for something completely different

For a twist, let us talk briefly about photography. I first saw Duane Michals's work a few months ago in my photography class at college, we were skimming through a selection of different books and his caught me and my friend's attention. The book in question was called The essential Duane Michals.





Here's an overview of the book:

Since taking his first pictures four decades ago, Duane Michals has established himself as an artist who has reinvented the medium of photography from an instrument for recording the visible world to an agent of thought and emotion. Michals has made use of all the tricks of the camera and darkroom - including double-exposure, blurred movement and photomontage - in order to construct images that provide his visions with the veracity of a witnessed event. From the 1960s he began to supplement photographs with texts and to create narrative sequences of images. Highly influential among photographers, these innovations have led to other inventive strategies: texts without photographs, or photographs paired with drawings or obscured in paint. But formal and technical considerations have never become an end in themselves; rather they have served Michals's need to communicate themes of growing subtlety and to express his ideas on such matters as the spirit, mortality, desire, human relationships, politics, time and memory. The works brought together in this book - whether commissioned or made for himself, and whether previously unpublished or already familiar to his admirers - demonstrate the rare ability of an artist to be freed of all restraints and preconceptions while remaining always true to himself.

I'm not much of a photography enthusiast, I can't really go on and on about it or even judge it properly, but I did love his photos. I found that the language of the pictures were very poetic, which is what I tend to like when I do find myself admiring photography. So these pictures were not only like poetry, but most of them were accompanied by lovely pieces of text, written by the own photographer. That was the first time I've seen it done so beautifully.

I've always been fond of the idea of picture and text; he puts them together perfectly. It feels like one entity. It was a shame that I didn't have more time to admire the book, because I feel I could have done it for hours.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário